7.27.2008

Missed Connections

I saw your front half through the one-way mirror Saturday evening while sitting alone in my apartment...you glanced up for a moment, teasingly smiled, then turned away for good...

I loved the music you were playing, and I was envious of your friends, but I still felt there was some distance between us.

I became frustrated by your petulance, so I put on some music of my own - George Jones and Tammy Wynette - to try to mimic your soundtrack, but to no avail.

All my friends who have seen you have called you a masterpiece, but I guess I still can't see it - do I need to look closer? Let me...

This is the 6th or 7th time I've tried to connect with you, but it never seems to be the right time. Once, I had had a bit to drink, and I glimpsed you - I thought for sure that it was the right time, but when the music started you just slipped away...

Is it me? Is it you? I want to love you, but I just can't do it. What's wrong with me?

I don't care how stubborn you are, I know there's something great deep down there...right???

Aching to see you again, but scared to even try...
Robert Altman's Nashville - 7 times I've tried, 7 times I've failed...

3 comments:

La Sporgenza said...

I hate this movie and have never got to the end of the first hour.

the coelacanth said...

good to know i'm not alone in this dark place...

La Sporgenza said...

Robert Altman's Nashville is 160 minutes of dreary and fragmented film making, 45 minutes of which is just songs from country to marching band medleys. The plot never sticks with any one character long enough to develop an affinity with them and only one of them is even mildly interesting anyways (the self-loathing rock slut played by Kung Fu's brother). You don't need to apologize for not “getting” this film. It's quite possibly the most overrated '70s film I can think of. It's also incredibly dated and the multi-everything plot structure was done to way better effect in Short Cuts. Stop harassing yourself, Joe. Sometimes the fame attached to a film isn't warranted.