10.03.2009

I rest my case

I rewatched John Cassavetes' Husbands tonight around 20 years after my first viewing of the film. This is the kind of film I've been droning on about this last couple of weeks/years. An improvised masterwork by a cinematic auteur at the height of his game. Great actors sinking their teeth into a massive and important American masterpiece that actually has something to say about the human condition. A film head and shoulders above the meaningless drivel of today's cinematic output.

…..but I'd be wrong because Husbands is an unbearably boring catastrophe of a picture that is so self-indulgent and closed off to the audience as to become nearly unwatchable. Give me The Dark Knight, any of the recently posted about horror films, Inglorious Basterds or The Fountain, any and all of which are superior in every possible way to this bloated classic film disaster by one of cinema's greatest icons.

So there you go, a counter-argument to the contention that an acclaimed classic almost always trumps the modern film. Even though I have no idea what it means, Husbands is a nugget to be avoided at all costs.

Sporgey.

4 comments:

Dropkick said...

whoa,
a nervous breakdown documented by a blog.
fascinating...

La Sporgenza said...

Is it just me or some days you can almost taste Kadas's death wish in the air?

Britarded said...

Oh yeah, Nugget. I'm still gonna watch this you know Nick sez it's amazing... in a way.

Britarded said...

Watched Husbands yesterday and overall enjoyed it, laughed out loud a few times and it had some truly classic cinematic moments, most obviously the singing round the table and I loved the basketball game. Yes, it's hellishly long and makes me feel uncomfortable about being myself in public but...


































Am I a funny guy?